Online safety settings
To get a positive experience out of social media and apps that you use, take control of who can contact you.
Here are some tips for enjoying social media:
- Consider setting your profile to private. That way you'll only be sharing with the people you want to share with.
- Switch off your location. Ensure only the people you trust know where you are!
- Think about your digital footprint. What comes up if someone searches your social media? Will it make you cringe in the future? Posts stay on the internet forever - unless you delete them!
- Don't be afraid to block. If someone is harassing or bullying you, you don't have to put up with it.
- Turn off tagging. Some sites allow you to review or switch off others tagging you in images so you can ensure all photos you're tagged in are ones you're happy to have shared!
- Report trolling. All social media platforms have rules and allow you to report abusive comments.
Privacy and safety features
Different social media apps and sites have different rules and features. Learn about privacy and safety features via the UK Safer Internet Centre.